Can't turn off your mind? End worry, stop obsessive thinking, and shut down your inner critic (Part X) by shifting from thinking to experiencing the present moment with the DISSOLVING THOUGHT tool.
Cues to Use the Tool
1. When your thinking is out of control and you can't stop obsessing—whether about something negative or positive.
2. When you're stuck in fear or worry or you can't stop judging or criticizing yourself or others.
1. Ignorance. Bring your attention to the objects around you. Look at their colors, feel their textures, and smell or taste them if that's relevant. Then say to yourself, "I don't know what that is. I have no name for that thing, no opinion about it, nothing." You're getting yourself into the "I don't know" state of ignorance.
2. Melting. Looking at all the objects around you, let them merge together in your mind. Imagine they are a box of crayons that are melting together, blending and oozing into a swirling mix where there are no longer any distinct objects.
3. Embrace. This oozing mass moves towards you and embraces you, engulfing you in the swirling mix.
4. Surrender. Let yourself surrender and merge with this flowing river of sensory experiences. Allow yourself to melt into the mix.
Becoming Part of the World
Obsessive thinking is one way Part X gets us to forget we're part of the whole. It separates us from others and creates distance between us and our environment. The Dissolving Thought Tool (which we also refer to as Empowering Your Senses) redirects our attention to the present moment by getting us to focus on our senses and our immediate sensory experience instead of what's passing through our mind.